So in the kitchen today is no other than my very own bacon and ham Mac n Cheeseeee. I actually called it BacHam pronounced really fast [Bake-Ham]. My brother thought it was too corny; oh well whatever!!… I like it :D. This is an easy quick meal to make, college and university students get in here, this is perfect for you. So, after a long, cold, rainy day, we all need some delicious comfort food to make us feel at home and take the school stress away. Mac N Cheese is the s#!t and you can make this meal using basic ingredients that are already available in your kitchen such as Butter, flour, milk, seasoning and any cheese, meat and pasta of your choice. I really like this meal but my only problem is the quantity of dairy product used (not the best choice for someone who is lactose intolerant 🙋 and trying so hard to get your inches right for the summer🏃🙇). Oh well, you only live once! One time won’t hurt right? 😩
Let’s get to it! Bacon and Ham Mac n Cheese (BacHam)
Bacon & Ham Mac n Cheese
- 4 cups of Macaroni
- 4-6 tbsp of butter
- ¼ cup of flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 3 cups of half and half cream
- 2 tbsp of cream cheese- optional
- Grated sharp cheddar cheese- 400g
- Grated mozzarella cheese- 200g
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 strips of bacon
- 284g of ham- Chunky
- Fresh Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp of dijon mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp of Paprika
- Sliced Onion
- 2 cloves of garlic- minced
- Bread crumbs to garnish
- Step 1 In a pot, add water, salt and a little oil if desired and bring to a boil
- Step 2 the water must be the flavor of sea water. When it is hot and bubbly add your pasta and cook for 7 mins or until al dente.
- Step 3 In a pan, add your bacon strips and cook until crispy, set the bacon in a different bowl and cut as desired.
- Step 4 Using the oil from the bacon, cook your sliced onion and garlic until caramelized on low to medium heat to ensure the garlic does not burn or it will make it bitter. Add your chopped ham and cook for 3-4 mins and keep aside to cool off.
- Step 5 In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. When it foams, add your flour and whisk to make a roux for 2-4 mins. The idea of a roux is to get rid of the floury taste and to create a smooth thickener. Whisk until the roux is smooth and free of lumps. Once the roux is bubbly, gradually add your cold milk, half and half cream while whisking allowing the mixture to come to a boil and thicken. Lower the heat a little bit and add your cream cheese, cheddar and mozzarella cheese and stir until it melts and combines. Add your Dijon mustard, 3 drops of Worcestershire sauce and combine. Add your salt, paprika and grate your nutmeg into the sauce as desired. You can also add any seasoning or condiment of choice. Simmer for a minute and add your fresh chopped chives. Your béchamel sauce is ready!
- Step 6 Pre heat your oven to 350 F. In a casserole dish combine your pasta, with the onion and ham mixture and crispy bacon. Once the pasta has been wonderfully combined with the mixture, add as much of your Béchamel sauce as desired (very creamy) and top with your grated parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and paprika for color. Bake in the oven for 30-40mins or until the bread crumbs is crispy and browned.
- Step 7 Your Food is ready to serve!