I hope you are having a great week! Today’s recipe is one that is perfect for the current weather condition. Pepper Soup is a West-African soup prepared using different kinds of meat with peppers, onion, crayfish and local pepper soup spices as its primarily ingredient. Pepper soup is usually very spicy, and watery in texture; it is said to have different medicinal benefits and it is used commonly to treat cold symptoms (it works every time, I guarantee you). In today’s recipe I will be using one of my favorite fish Basa and I paired it with grilled baguette; Al Bacio!!😚 ( kiss fingertips and toss away). This is one of my go to dishes during this time of the year and I am always pleased. It is great with catfish or goat meat, and you can pair this soup with steamed rice, boiled/ grilled yam or plantain, throw in some noodles or baguette as I did. Try this recipe and let me know what you think 👍🙋😃
NOTE: You can find crayfish, scent leaf and pepper soup spices at any West-Indian or African grocery store.
Now let’s get to it.
Basa Steak Fish Pepper Soup & Baguette
- 4 pieces of Basa Steak Fish
- 1 medium sized Onion
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- ⅓ tsp of Cameroon Pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp of Crayfish (blended)
- 1 and ½ tsp of Pepper soup spice mix
- 2 Seasoning Cubes
- 1 tsp of Scent leaf
- 3-4 cups of Water
- ½ tsp of Pepper Flakes (for garnish)
- Baguette (grill and serve)
- Step 1 Clean fish properly by soaking the fish in boiling hot water for 2-4 mins, discard water and rinse fish two times. Place cleaned fish in a pot. This is done to remove all impurities as well as to remove the ice fish taste, so you can have a nice tasty result in the end. Blend your onion and scotch bonnet pepper and add to the fish and then your water.
- Step 2 Place on medium heat, add crayfish, Cameroon pepper, seasoning cube and salt. Add salt according to preference, stir carefully, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Step 3 Add your pepper soup spices and scent leaf, reduce heat to medium low, stir carefully not to break the fish, cover and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes.
- Step 4 Place bread slices on the grill, grill until crunchy and set aside.
- Step 5 Taste for seasoning and adjust salt if needed, garnish with pepper flakes. Leave to simmer for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Step 6 Your food is ready!