I hope you are all having a lovely Sunday. I am having a lazy Sunday morning so I decided to get into the kitchen and prepare something different for breakfast. I was watching the real 😍😍(I love that show btw) earlier this week and I came across a meal that was prepared on the show. It is called Mofongo and it is enjoyed by a lot of Puerto Ricans, actually it is a local dish. I thought to myself this is new and it is something I would like to try, considering the fact I grew up eating a lot of plantains. I usually have them fried with eggs for breakfast or as a side with Jollof Rice; if you are Nigerian, then you will understand what I am talking about; plantain is like a national treasure alongside Jollof Rice and Porridge Beans. However, I thought since I am making breakfast how about I bring plantain and eggs together as one and make it look like mini pancakes because I love having pancakes for breakfast. In an hour, viola! we have this beautiful Plantain Breakfast Patty. Very delicious, fluffy on the inside and light😋😋. I had this and I was full but I did not feel like I was about to explode. This is perfect for our fitfam audience that want something different and healthy for breakfast. If you want to achieve this, continue reading 😀 Trust me you gotta try this! 👌
Hey Zinny Factor here is another recipe, I am sure your readers will love.
Now let’s get to it.
Breakfast Plantain Patty
- 2 Yellow Plantains
- 2 Eggs
- Bell Peppers (diced about 3 tbsp )
- 1 Scallion (finely chopped)
- Red Onion (diced about 3 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp of Paprika
- 1 tsp of Crushed Chili Pepper
- A pinch of Cameroon Pepper (optional, added for flavor)
- 1 Seasoning Cube
- 1 tbsp of Butter
- 4 tbsp of Vegetable Oil
- ¼ cup of Flour
- 5 tbsp of Breadcrumbs
- 5-6 Cups of Water
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
- Step 2 Peel plantain and cut into big chunks. Place into pot with water and salt. Bring to a boil until it is really soft, It should take 20-30 minutes. Add salt according to preference.
- Step 3 Drain plantain into sieve and leave until water in plantain is completely drained out and plantain becomes dry.
- Step 4 Place into a bowl and mash, the plantain will still have some big lumps. Add eggs and continue mashing until completely smooth. Add chopped vegetables, paprika, red chili pepper, Cameroon pepper, seasoning cube, 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs and salt. Mix properly and set aside. Add salt according to preference.
- Step 5 Heat pan with oil and butter on medium low heat. Rub flour into your palm, using a spoon, scoop some mash into palm and form into a patty one after the other. Top remaining breadcrumbs on plantain patty. Make sure your palm is covered with flour because it will help bind the mash together.
- Step 6 Place patty in pan and sear on both sides for 4-5 mins each or until sides become brown and crunchy. Place patties into oven and bake for 20-25 so the insides can cook properly and the patties will begin to firmly form.
- Step 7 Your patty is ready!!
- Step 8 Serve with ketchup or mayo and any breakfast sides of choice.