Happy new week! It has been a restful weekend and I just feel energized and ready to take on this week. Since we are in the last few days of summer, pepper soup will definitely come in handy while I embrace the cold cold fall and winter days. I made this with my favorite fish 😍😍 and it never fails; I know this is something you and your folks will love to have also. Pepper Soup is a West African delicacy which is prepared using different kinds of meat, it is peppery, and it is light and watery in texture. I usually enjoy this soup with a side of steamed rice, it is just the perfect combination; and when I am down with a cold, I have it just as it is. Yum mm just Delicious 😋 😍 So without further ado here is my recipe to Catfish Pepper Soup 😋
PS: All ingredients can be gotten from any West Indian or African grocery store.
Now let’s get to it!
Catfish Pepper Soup
- Catfish (cleaned, washed and cut into 4 pieces)
- 1 Red Onion
- 2- 3 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 1 and ½ tbsp of Ground Crayfish
- Black Pepper (Freshly Grinded, and it is optional)
- 1 and half tsp of fresh or dry Utazi Leaves
- 1 tsp of Ground Pepper soup mix
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2-3 Seasoning Cubes
- 4-5 Cups of Water
- Step 1 To clean Catfish, place fish in a bowl, add salt and hot water. The slimy skin will come off and it will kill any unwanted bacteria. Repeat process 3 times, rinse off with cold water and set aside.
- Step 2 Place cleaned Catfish in cooking pot. Blend Scotch bonnet and Red onion with very little water and add to pot. Add 4- 5 cups of water, depending on the quantity of soup needed
- Step 3 5 is ideal because the liquid will reduce later on. Add ground crayfish, black pepper, bay leaves, seasoning cubes and salt. Cover and cook on medium high heat for about 15 to 20 mins. All ingredients will have married together, and the soup will become light brown in color. Add salt according to preference and also you can reduce the amount of scotch bonnet pepper used if you do not like a lot of heat.
- Step 4 Reduce heat to medium low, and stir
- Step 5 stir carefully to not break the fish into pieces. You can hold both pot handles and gently shake the pot to stir. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed, by adding only salt or one seasoning cube. Add more water, if you need more soup/liquids. If you added more water, adjust seasoning with ½ a teaspoon of ground crayfish, one seasoning cube, salt, cover and cook for an additional 7- 10 minutes so added ingredients can marry together. Add salt according to preference.
- Step 6 Add pepper soup or banga soup spices, and cook for 7-10 mins still on medium low heat. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed because the soup is ready at this point. If you need more seasoning or soup/ liquids repeat step 3 until you achieve your desired quantity and taste.
- Step 7 Reduce heat to simmer and add uziza leaves. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Step 8 Your food is ready!!
- Step 9
You can serve pepper soup with rice or yam and you can also enjoy on it’s own .