Happy new week! Today’s lunch or dinner inspiration is Chinese Curry Shrimp served on Fried Yam. So this recipe is inspired by a meal I had at my local Chinese restaurant. The first time I had this sauce, it was served on a nice plate of steamed rice; I loved it! 😋. I began sorting out recipes and I found a couple. I tried some of the recipes I found many times but it just never tasted as the sauce I had at the restaurant but it was close enough. The exciting thing about cooking is that you may never get the exact result but there is always room to revamp a recipe and produce a meal that is not entirely different but better! 😜😀 I think i’m pretty close on this one. I decided to pair this sauce with Yam, because it is not frequently eaten and most times I find myself reaching for rice or pasta to pair with this sauce or any other sauce for that matter. So the spotlight today is on yam, one of the most ignored staples. It paired very well and my clients loved every minute of it. It was something new, delicious and very filling.
Now let’s get to it!
Chinese Curry Shrimp served on Fried Yam
- 2 lb of Fresh Shrimp (Peeled and Deveined)
- Yam (Grilled or Fried)
- 2 tbsp of Cornstarch
- 1 and ½ tbsp of Curry
- ½ tbsp of Chilli Pepper
- 1 tbsp of Paprika
- 3-4 tbsp of Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 and ½ tbsp of Sugar
- 3 tbsp of Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2-3 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth (or more depending on quantity desired)
- 1 and ½ tbsp of Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 1 Medium-sized Carrot (clean and thinly slice)
- 1 Red bell pepper (cut in Julienne)
- 1 tbsp of Fresh Ginger (finely grated)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 2-3 Cups of Vegetable Oil
- Step 1 Peel, cut and rinse your yam. When it is drained, add salt and properly mix. Add salt according to preference and set aside.
- Step 2 In a bowl, add your shrimp, curry, sugar, cornstarch and mix. In a separate bowl, mix soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and 3 cups of chicken broth or more depending on the quantity of sauce you want. and set aside.
- Step 3 In a Wok or Pot, add ½ tbsp of oil on medium high heat. When hot, add red bell peppers, carrots, garlic and ginger. Stir fry vegetables for about 2-3 minutes or until vegetables soften a bit. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Step 4 Add 1 tbsp of oil in wok or pan on medium high heat. Add shrimp and stir fry, cook shrimp until it turns pink. Cooking should take about 1-2 minutes.
- Step 5 Reduce heat to medium low. Add vegetables to pan, chili powder, paprika, and sauce mixture. Cook for 4-7 minutes. Adjust seasoning and add more chicken broth if sauce gets too thick. Your sauce is ready.
- Step 6 In a skillet or frying pan, add 3 cups of vegetable oil on medium high heat. When oil is hot, add yam and fry until cooked. Remove fried yam and place on paper towel or sieve to drain out excess oil. You can substitute frying by grilling the yam.
- Step 7 To grill yam, add 3 tbsp of olive oil to the yam. Properly mix and place on greased baking dish or pan. Grill on 350 F until yam is completely cooked.
- Step 8 Your food is ready!!