I have been waiting to write about this recipe for a while now and I have found the perfect time. If you love chicken gizzards, here is a lovely recipe you can achieve. I loveee me some chicken gizzards especially when it is fried and cooked in hot tomato stew/sauce, in gizdodo (West African side dish: gizzards and plantain cooked in tomato stew), or in coconut rice😋; ohhh the manys ways I enjoy chicken gizzards. Dirty rice has become another way I will be enjoying my chicken gizzards. Dirty Rice is a local dish enjoyed in the southern part of the United States. It is basically seasoned meat mixed in cooked long grain rice. Chicken Gizzard, Ground Beef and Liver are usually used to achieve this dish. In this recipe, I will be using Chicken Gizzards and Liver. I know some of you are a bit concerned about liver, trust me it is really delicious when properly seasoned. However if you are still uncomfortable, you can always swap liver for ground beef. Dirty Rice can be served a side or can be enjoyed as a main dish as well. You will need some time and concentration to achieve this dish as it is very complex but it is definitely time well spent. Very tasty, delicious and with every spoon, little pieces of meat is involved 😃. I paired it with a side of Coleslaw, and My Oh My My My My! (in my Johnny Gill voice) it was party in my mouth😍. Give this a try just once, it is one of those recipes that it is either a hit or miss (you hate it or love it). Be adventurous and try something new today 🙂 I will love to hear your feedback.
Now let’s get to it.
- 2 lbs of Chicken Gizzards
- 1 lb of Chicken Liver
- 1 large Onion
- 3-4 stalks of Scallion
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 2-3 stalks of Celery
- 4 Cups of Long grain Rice
- ¼ Onion Powder
- ¼ Garlic powder
- ¼ Dried Thyme
- ¼ Dried Oregano
- ¼ Rubbed Sage
- ½ Paprika
- ¼ Cayenne Pepper
- ½ Chili Pepper( for some heat/ optional)
- A pinch of Cumin
- ¼ Ground Black Pepper
- 1 ½ Salt
- Unsalted Butter
- Step 1 Cook on medium heat your Gizzards and Liver separately with just water, salt and pepper until very soft, this should take at least an hour. If you have a crock pot, cook gizzards only for 4 hours. Sieve Gizzards and set gizzard stock aside. (Add salt according to preference)
- Step 2 Add gizzards into food processor and blend finely to achieve the texture of ground beef. Repeat process for the liver as well.If you do not have a blender, you can chopped your meats very finely.
- Step 3 Cook rice until soft and set aside. Please do not cook rice soggy and mushy. In a small bowl, mix together 1 ½ salt, black pepper, cumin, sage, oregano, thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder combine properly and set aside.
- Step 4 Cut all vegetables and split in half.
- Step 5 Set saucepan on medium heat and add 4 tbsp of unsalted butter and heat butter until it melts. Now add the first half of your yellow onion, green bell pepper and scallions (white parts only). Stir ingredients together and saute for 10-11 minutes or until vegetables turns to a light brown color.
- Step 6 Add your ground meat and stir all ingredients together. Now add the other half of your yellow onion, bell pepper, celery and scallions (green parts)
- Step 7 saute for 1-2 minutes. Now add 1 tsp of salt and 1 and ½ tbsp of your mixed seasoning, stir all ingredients together and saute for 10- 11 minutes.
- Step 8 At this point you should have a toasted light brown meat mixture. Now add ½ cup of your gizzard stock and 2-3 tbsp of melted unsalted butter. You can substitute for chicken stock if you are not comfortable with gizzard stock. Saute for 5-8 minutes until all liquids have dried up. Now add another 1 and ½ tbsp of mixed seasoning, stir ingredients together and saute for another 3-4 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Step 9 Add rice and properly mix together to make sure all parts of the rice is coated with meat. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Stir on heat for another 2-3 minutes and then turn off your heat. Allow rice to seat in pot covered for 20-25 minutes before serving, this will allow all seasoning to be soaked properly into the rice for maximum satisfaction.
- Step 10 Your Dirty Rice is Ready!!