I hope you had a great week. Today’s recipe is my own style of Jamaican Curry Goat, I am really proud and confident about this recipe because it has been a long time coming. I love Caribbean food so much!😋😍 So I am happy that I was able to achieve this about 95% close. I love a good Netflix & Chill with some comfort food by the side and curry goat and rice is the perfect meal for this! My friends enjoyed this to the bone, the meat was so soft, juicy and oh don’t get me started on the sauce, let’s just say we were licking our hands all the way to our wrist. This meal is worth the time it takes to prepare, however I used a pressure pot to help cut the cooking time. I also used the remaining sauce with pasta and it paired really well. I think I’ll just go straight to it before I end up rambling about this food.
Now let’s get to it.
Jamaican Curry Goat
- 2 lbs of Goat meat
- 1 Large Onion (sliced)
- 4-5 sprigs of Fresh thyme
- 1-2 Scotch Bonnet pepper (sliced)
- 5 tbsp of Jamaican Style Curry powder
- 5 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp of Black Pepper
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 4-5 Cups of Hot Water
- 1 and ½ tbsp of Ketchup
- 2 Potatoes (peeled and cut into small chunks)
- 3-4 tbsp of Vegetable Oil
- 3 tbsp of Oilve Oil
- Step 1 Clean and dry goat meat. Place in a bowl and season with 3 tbsp of curry, sliced onion, scotch bonnet pepper, 3 sprigs of thyme, garlic, black pepper, olive oil and salt. Add salt according to preference. Properly mix, tightly cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, overnight more preferable.
- Step 2 Remove only the goat meat from the bowl, heat your cooking pot with oil on medium heat and brown meat when oil is hot.
- Step 3 Once meat is browned, add 3-4 cups of hot water, and the remaining marinade from the bowl, cover, place heat on medium low and cook for about an hour. If you want to speed things up, transfer goat meat, water and marinade into a pressure pot and cook for 20-25 mins. Your goat meat will be very soft in a short amount of time.
- Step 4 If you used your pressure pot, transfer goat meat back into your cooking pot, and season with 2 tbsp of curry powder, 2 sprigs of thyme, finely chopped onion, 1 cup of hot water and salt. Add salt according to preference. Cover, place heat on medium heat and cook for 15-20 minutes..
- Step 5 Add potatoes and ketchup, stir and simmer on low heat for 25-30 minutes, cook until the meat falls off the bone.
- Step 6 Your food is ready!!
- Step 7 Serve with Steamed Rice, Rice and Peas or Pasta.
- Step 8 FOR PASTA: Boil pasta until Al dente, pasta water should be as salty as seawater. Sieve and reserve ¼ cup of pasta water. Transfer pasta to pot, add 2 tbsp of butter, pasta water and curry goat sauce and properly mix. Taste for more seasoning and only season with salt if needed.