This is another one of those recipes I have been meaning to blog about and to be frank I have been lazy getting to it 😀 Moi Moi is a Nigerian delight made from blended beans as the base and steamed in a hot water bath. It is very healthy and a perfect source of protein for us Nigerians compared to the other kinds of food we eat (mostly rice). It is mostly enjoyed as a side with Jollof Rice and Fried rice and you can also enjoy on its own as well. The beauty about Moi Moi is that you can enjoy it plain or you can stuff with any choice of protein; trust Nigerians we never enjoy anything plain. Moi Moi is usually stuffed with boiled eggs, mackerel fish or corned beef; I used shredded chicken thighs instead of Mackerel in my recipe. Moi Moi is easy to prepare but the preparation is very intricate, and you will have to follow the steps as stated. I recommend making the batter over the weekend and store in the refrigerator, batter can last up to a week. I honestly lovee this dish, very deelicious and to me Jollof is not complete without moi moi as a side. I do not think moi moi has been given the praise it deserves as jollof does. Moi Moi is very moist and fluffy on the inside and with every bite, oh my orgasmic!😍😋 This is one dish I believe everyone should be making often, you do not need to be Nigerian to enjoy this wonderful dish; we definitely need the protein and our body will thank us for it. Try my recipe below and I will love to hear your feedback.
Now let’s get to it.
Moi Moi (Bean Cake)
- 2-3 Cups of Beans/ Beans Flour
- 1 Cup of Shredded Chicken
- ⅓ Cup of Corned Beef
- 1 medium sized Red Onion
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 3 Scotch Bonnet (remove seeds to reduce heat)
- 2 tbsp of Tomato Paste (optional)
- 2 Eggs
- 3 tbsp of ground CrayFish
- 2 Seasoning Cubes
- 1 tsp of Curry
- 2 Cooking Spoon of Vegetable/Olive oil
- 2-3 Cups of Water
- Tools for Beans Peeling:
- 2 Utility Bowls
- Cooking spoon
- Step 1 To get your beans ready, soak beans in cold water for 6 mins, drain water after soaking. In a blender, add 2 cooking spoons of beans and water enough to cover beans. Hit the pulse button only about 3-5 times so the skins can pull off the beans. Do not over do this step so you do not completely crush the beans, be very careful and us your eyes so you do not pulse more than needed. Also do not press the pulse button at a go, press the button for 2 seconds at a time. Transfer beans in blender to the other bowl and repeat the same process with the rest of the beans.
- Step 2 When you are done with the pulsing, rub beans between your palms to get the skins off the beans that did not get off in the blender. Pour the skins into the sieve so you do not block your drain. Repeat this process until you have clean skinless beans. I recommend using actual beans instead of bean flour because it tastes so much better and it has a better texture. There are tons of descriptive videos online so you can visually see how it is done. This is the fastest way to have this process done and I will be providing a video on this page soon.
- Step 3 If you are using bean flour, start from this step. Add peeled beans and all ingredients except eggs, cooking oil and meats, blend until smooth. Your batter should be as smooth, light and running as a pancake batter. Transfer to a clean bowl or stand mixer, whisk continuously using a mixer or wooden spoon if you do not have any. Whisking your batter incorporates air which will make your batter fluffy and light. Add your eggs one at a time while mixing as well as your oil. Whisk for 5-7 mins. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt or seasoning cube if needed. Add chicken and corned beef or any protein of choice, mix properly with a cooking spoon and your batter is ready. Your protein must be cooked.
- Step 4 Moi Moi is steamed to achieve the best result. You can use a ramekin, baking dish, aluminium foil pan etc. whichever you choose, your pan must be placed in a water bath, your water bath should cover your baking dish halfway when placed in, you do not want water sipping into your batter when cooking. Locally moi moi is cooked in Banana Leaves, but we will be using an easier cooking method.
- Step 5 Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Lightly butter your baking dish or pan. Place water bath in oven so water can get hot. Add batter in your coated baking dish, cover with foil so you can retain the steam. I usually leave my Moi Moi uncovered after it is cooked to get the top a little crispy. When oven is ready to go, place batter in your water bath and cook for 40-50 minutes.
- Step 6 Your Moi Moi is ready!!
- Step 7 Enjoy on its own or pair as a side with Rice.