Hello Everyone! I will not describe myself as a sweet tooth but when I have my unusual sweet cravings there are certain kinds of foods I like to enjoy. I loveee crepes and I enjoy them for breakfast and more frequently for dessert (when I […]
I have been waiting to write about this recipe for a while now and I have found the perfect time. If you love chicken gizzards, here is a lovely recipe you can achieve. I loveee me some chicken gizzards especially when it is fried and cooked in hot tomato stew/sauce, in gizdodo (West African side dish: gizzards and plantain cooked in tomato stew), or in coconut rice😋; ohhh the manys ways I enjoy chicken gizzards. Dirty rice has become another way I will be enjoying my chicken gizzards. Dirty Rice is a local dish enjoyed in the southern part of the United States. It is basically seasoned meat mixed in cooked long grain rice. Chicken Gizzard, Ground Beef and Liver are usually used to achieve this dish. In this recipe, I will be using Chicken Gizzards and Liver. I know some of you are a bit concerned about liver, trust me it is really delicious when properly seasoned. However if you are still uncomfortable, you can always swap liver for ground beef. Dirty Rice can be served a side or can be enjoyed as a main dish as well. You will need some time and concentration to achieve this dish as it is very complex but it is definitely time well spent. Very tasty, delicious and with every spoon, little pieces of meat is involved 😃. I paired it with a side of Coleslaw, and My Oh My My My My! (in my Johnny Gill voice) it was party in my mouth😍. Give this a try just once, it is one of those recipes that it is either a hit or miss (you hate it or love it). Be adventurous and try something new today 🙂 I will love to hear your feedback.
Now let’s get to it.
- 2 lbs of Chicken Gizzards
- 1 lb of Chicken Liver
- 1 large Onion
- 3-4 stalks of Scallion
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 2-3 stalks of Celery
- 4 Cups of Long grain Rice
- ¼ Onion Powder
- ¼ Garlic powder
- ¼ Dried Thyme
- ¼ Dried Oregano
- ¼ Rubbed Sage
- ½ Paprika
- ¼ Cayenne Pepper
- ½ Chili Pepper( for some heat/ optional)
- A pinch of Cumin
- ¼ Ground Black Pepper
- 1 ½ Salt
- Unsalted Butter
- Step 1 Cook on medium heat your Gizzards and Liver separately with just water, salt and pepper until very soft, this should take at least an hour. If you have a crock pot, cook gizzards only for 4 hours. Sieve Gizzards and set gizzard stock aside. (Add salt according to preference)
- Step 2 Add gizzards into food processor and blend finely to achieve the texture of ground beef. Repeat process for the liver as well.If you do not have a blender, you can chopped your meats very finely.
- Step 3 Cook rice until soft and set aside. Please do not cook rice soggy and mushy. In a small bowl, mix together 1 ½ salt, black pepper, cumin, sage, oregano, thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder combine properly and set aside.
- Step 4 Cut all vegetables and split in half.
- Step 5 Set saucepan on medium heat and add 4 tbsp of unsalted butter and heat butter until it melts. Now add the first half of your yellow onion, green bell pepper and scallions (white parts only). Stir ingredients together and saute for 10-11 minutes or until vegetables turns to a light brown color.
- Step 6 Add your ground meat and stir all ingredients together. Now add the other half of your yellow onion, bell pepper, celery and scallions (green parts)
- Step 7 saute for 1-2 minutes. Now add 1 tsp of salt and 1 and ½ tbsp of your mixed seasoning, stir all ingredients together and saute for 10- 11 minutes.
- Step 8 At this point you should have a toasted light brown meat mixture. Now add ½ cup of your gizzard stock and 2-3 tbsp of melted unsalted butter. You can substitute for chicken stock if you are not comfortable with gizzard stock. Saute for 5-8 minutes until all liquids have dried up. Now add another 1 and ½ tbsp of mixed seasoning, stir ingredients together and saute for another 3-4 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Step 9 Add rice and properly mix together to make sure all parts of the rice is coated with meat. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Stir on heat for another 2-3 minutes and then turn off your heat. Allow rice to seat in pot covered for 20-25 minutes before serving, this will allow all seasoning to be soaked properly into the rice for maximum satisfaction.
- Step 10 Your Dirty Rice is Ready!!
Hello Everyone! Summer is a great time to relax in the sun and enjoy sweet mouthwatering treats. My ginger berry tea is just one of the many ways I cool off on a hot sunny day. If you are in Canada, you understand how hot […]
Fried Chicken has the key to everyone’s heart. Regardless of the high calories content, KFC and Popeyes will continue to have a line up of customers, because it is just that damn good!! However, at some point we just have to put our health forward, as for me I am seriously putting my waistline forward, your girl can not completely go out of shape because of the love for food and fried chicken. I put in the work to find a solution that will fill that void, and my oven-baked southern buttermilk chicken does the trick anytime. It is not time consuming (most of the work is done in the refrigerator and oven), easy to prepare and delicious can not describe how much it is just that good. Super moist on the inside and crispy on the outside, my lawd! I am still reminiscing on the goodness that is my southern buttermilk chicken. I had this with Jollof Rice and we can say it was a match made in heaven; you can pair this with any side of your choice. Zinny Factor I know this is recipe your viewers will love and enjoy making. To try this recipe, continue reading…
Now let’s get to it.
Southern Buttermilk Fried Chicken (Oven-Fried)
- 2 lb of Chicken Quarters (cut in half)
- 1 and ½ Cup of Breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup of Flour
- 2 Cups of Buttermilk
- 1 and ½ tbsp of Granulated Basil / Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp of All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 tsp of Paprika
- ½ tsp of Black Pepper
- 1 tsp of White Pepper
- ½ tbsp of Garlic Powder
- ½ tbsp of Onion Powder
- 3 Eggs
- Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp of Kosher Salt
- Step 1 In a nonreactive bowl, add your eggs and buttermilk whisk until properly incorporated. Mix in your garlic and onion powder, salt and granulated basil or Italian seasoning. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least 6 hours,overnight or for 24 hours for best result.
- Step 2 Preheat Oven to 375 F. Remove chicken from refrigerator 45 mins before baking. In a different bowl, mix together bread crumbs, flour, paprika, black and white pepper and all purpose seasoning.
- Step 3 Remove chicken from buttermilk, remove any excess liquid. Completely coat chicken in flour mixture one after the other and place in a baking tray, or on a wire rack on top of a baking tray. Properly grease baking tray or wire rack before placing chicken.
- Step 4 Cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Generously drizzle olive oil on top of chicken before placing in oven. To make extra crispy on the outside leave for additional minutes in the oven.
- Step 5 Your food is ready!!!
- Step 6 Serve with any side of your choice
Hello Everyone! TGIF!! Been looking forward to the weekend from like Monday, this week was a hassle right from the very first day; and I could not wait for it to be over already. Today’s recipe is one of those special dishes I enjoy, but […]
Hello Everyone! I hope you are having a nice day. Today’s recipe is a quick meal you can whip up in no time, yet it still feels like you are eating from a fancy restaurant in your own home. My simple but rich Seafood Tomato […]
Chicken & Quinoa (Mexican Style)
- 2 Cups of Quinoa
- 2 lbs of Chicken Thighs
- 1 Small Yellow Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Cup of Bell Peppers (Diced)
- 2-3 Cloves of Garlic (Minced)
- 2 Cups of Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 Can of Diced Tomatoes
- ⅓ Cup of Kernel Corn
- ½ Cup of Black Beans
- 5-6 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Spanish Paprika
- 1 tsp of Chili Pepper
- ¼ tsp of Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp of White Pepper
- 1 tsp of Cumin
- 1 tsp of Dried Thyme or Oregano
- 1 Chicken Seasoning Cube
- Parsley (chopped for garnish)
- 1 Lime
- Step 1 Clean and Dry Chicken Thighs. Season with seasoning cube, salt and pepper. Set aside for 30 mins. Add salt and pepper according to preference.
- Step 2 In a hot pan add 2 tbsp of Olive Oil. Pan sear on both sides for 5-6 mins each or until browned. Set Chicken aside including chicken juice. Clean pan with paper towel.
- Step 3 Add 3 tbsp of Olive oil in a clean pan and place on medium heat. Add onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Do not let garlic burn. Add bell peppers, tomatoes, corn, black beans, salt and spices. Stir properly and let it cook for about 2-4 minutes. Add quinoa, place chicken thighs in the pan properly and add broth. Cover and cook on medium low heat for about 20-25 minutes. Add salt according to preference.
- Step 4 Mix in Lime juice and Parsley. Leave to simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Step 5 Your food is ready!! You can top with Chopped Avocado for that extra flavor.
Hello Everyone! I hope you are having a great week! Today’s recipe is perfect for a nice Sunday lunch or dinner with your friends and family. I had this deliciousness on Sunday for lunch with my friends. They came over for the weekend and I […]