This is how I spent Shrove Tuesday, burying my face in this plate of the fluffiest, richest pancakes you’ll ever have. I am a lover of pancakes and I’ll use just about anything and turn it into a pancake. Have you tried plantain pancakes? I have a recipe here for you and it’ll be one of the best pancakes you’ll ever have trust 👊🏾
All my vegans this one is for you too. In this post, I show you how to make plantain pancakes and also how to enjoy pancakes in 3 different ways, check it out here.
Now back to this recipe.
I went all-in with this one.. oh yeah all in!
Let me attempt to describe how good this is. Imagine the fluffiest pancakes you can think of, filled with scallions (green onions) for that savory touch, now layered with queso fresco cheese, pancetta & slaw. Once you bite into these rich pancakes, you get a hit of that ooey-gooey mild slightly tangy cheese, then you are hit with a slight salty meaty feeling from the pancetta, and finally a slight crunch from the slaw and scallions. My oh my too good! 😋🤤 as if that’s not enough, I topped it with my Chilli Sauce for a little kick.
The taste reminds me of a cross between Korean, Nigerian & Buttermilk Pancakes, although I did not use buttermilk in it. All I had was table cream 18% in my fridge; I was a bit skeptical at first because I have never heard or seen cream used in a pancake batter but let me tell you, the richness and thickness of this pancake were as a result of the cream.
No need to try to imagine it when you can just make it; you can also find the recipe video here
PS: Check out another leftover gold recipe, my Dutty Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Tried this recipe?
Sharing is caring 😃😏
Mention me @thefoodisciple #thefoodisciple and pin this recipe
Savory Pancakes, Queso Fresco, Pancetta & Slaw
- 2 Cups of Flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp of Baking Soda
- 3 tbsp of Sugar
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1 and 1/2 Cup of Table Cream (18%)
- 3 Stalks of Scallion (chopped)
- 1/3 Cup of Pancetta
- 1/2 Cup of Queso Fresco
- 1 Cup of Slaw Mix
- Unsalted Butter or Vegetable Oil for frying
- PS: You can replace table cream with regular milk or buttermilk
- Step 1 Prepare pancetta by cooking in the pan with 1 tbsp of oil until crisp and set aside. Grate cheese and set aside.
- Step 2 Preheat oven to 185 F and have a baking sheet or heatproof platter ready to keep cooked pancakes warm in the oven. In a bowl mix flour, baking powder and soda, salt, sugar, eggs and cream. Mix until all ingredients have been incorporated together. Do not over-mix as a little lump is good in the batter. Add chopped scallions, mix together and set aside.
- Step 3 Heat a skillet (nonstick or cast-iron) or griddle over medium. Add your butter or oil to the hot pan.
- Step 4 For each pancake, use 1/4 cup and scope batter onto the skillet. Cook until the surface of pancake has some bubbles or for 45-50 secs. Top with cheese, pancetta and slaw, use a tbsp of batter to cover fillings to avoid burning. Flip carefully with a thin spatula, and cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Step 5 Transfer to a baking sheet or platter, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and keep warm in the oven. Continue with more oil and remaining batter (You’ll have 8-9 pancakes).
- Step 6 Serve warm, with desired toppings or chilli sauce as I did.