Happy Sunday!! It’s the season to be Merry and I love every bit of it. I am here with another quick delicious recipe we all love and will be great to serve during this holiday season. Today’s recipe is how to achieve a good tasty crispy Scotch Egg. Yum Yum Yum I remember always enjoying this as a kid, especially during my break hours in high school. It was just so delicious, irresistible and always affordable. I started having cravings while reminiscing on the good ol’ days and voila we have this plate of goodness for myself and co-workers to enjoy. I was able to achieve this under $20 great huh! So add this to your holiday food list today and treat your guests to some of the classics.
Now let’s get to it.
- 7 Large Eggs
- 2 lb of Pork Sausage
- 1 cup of White Breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup of Flour
- ½ tsp of Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp of Oregano
- ½ tsp of Chilli pepper
- A pinch of Freshly Grated Nutmeg (optional)
- 1 Seasoning Cube
- 2 litres of Vegetable Oil
- Step 1 In a small pot, bring 6 large eggs to a boil for 10-15 mins for a hard boiled center and 4-5 mins for a runny center. Cool in a pot of cold water after cooking and once they are cooled, carefully peel them and set aside.
- Step 2 Place your sausage meat into another bowl, add your salt, black pepper, seasoning cube, nutmeg, oregano,and chili pepper
- Step 3 mix properly and set aside.
- Step 4 Place 3 plates on your working space, fill one with flour, the other with breadcrumbs and the lastly with beaten eggs. To make your scotch eggs, lightly flour your hands, make a medium size ball with your hands and flatten into a patty like shape. Lightly roll one egg in flour and place in the middle of the patty. Using your hands, gently shape the meat around the egg, making sure the egg is completely covered with the meat evenly. Roll egg in flour and shake off any excess, using a cooking brush properly coat with beaten eggs, and properly coat with breadcrumbs. Repeat process with the rest of the eggs.
- Step 5 Heat oil in a deep pan, pot or fryer to about 300 F if using a thermometer. If you do not have a thermometer, place pot on medium heat, and deep your wooden spoon into the pot, if it bubbles around the spoon then your oil is ready.
- Step 6 Gently place eggs into oil and fry for 5-6 mins or until golden brown and crispy. Remember to turn the eggs often to make sure all sides are completely cooked. Remove from oil when cooked and place on paper towel to cool.
- Step 7 Your Food is ready!!!
Serve with hot sauce, tartar sauce or ranch dressing.