Hope you are having a good week! I am back again with another quick recipe. Today’s recipe is a classic southern buttermilk biscuit. For those of you who read my posts, you know my expressed love for Popeyes, I am in love with their meals and more importantly their biscuits they include on the side with every meal 😋 love in plate I tell ya. I was inspired to learn how to achieve this so I can make it anytime I want and enjoy with my friends and family at home. So guys after countless researches, trials and errors, I have found this method to be perfect for me and it works every time. Its close enough to Popeyes, hell! in my opinion is just as good but it is left for you to decide by trying this recipe, and tell me what you think. It is very easy and affordable to prepare, you can have it as a side to your meals or you can turn this into a quick breakfast sandwich by adding eggs, cheese and maybe bacon or sausages; whatever you decide just have fun with it. Hey Zinny Factor here is another quick recipe you can share with your readers.
Now let’s get to it.
Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1 Frozen Butter Stick
- 2 and half cups of white lily flour (self rising) or all purpose flour
- 1 and half tbsp of baking powder (if using all purpose flour)
- 1 cup of Cold Butter Milk
- 1/4 cup Cold Whipping Cream (recommended but optional)
- 1/2 tsp of Salt (recommended but optional)
- Step 1 In a bowl, add your white lily flour and set aside. If you are using all purpose flour, mix with baking powder and set aside. White lily flour is ideal because it has less protein and gluten which makes the biscuit very tender and fluffy in the end.I recommend adding salt if you want your biscuit to taste just like Popeye’s.
- Step 2 Grate your frozen butter stick and combine with flour and toss together using your fingers. Place in the refrigerator for 20 mins or freezer for 10 mins. Making an ideal buttermilk biscuit is all about using cold ingredients, if it is warm before getting into the oven the ingredients start to react with each other.
- Step 3 Add buttermilk to the flour and gently mix together with your hands or use a wooden spoon.
- Step 4 Sprinkle your working surface (counter top) and rolling pin with self rising flour.Turn your dough to your surface, sprinkle some flour on your dough and gently roll your dough into a rectangular shape and fold, roll again and fold. repeat folding process 4-5 mins making the dough about half an inch thick.
- Step 5 Preheat oven to 470 degree F. Layer your baking pan with parchment paper and lightly grease or sprinkle with flour.
- Step 6 Using a biscuit cutter, dip your cutter in flour and cut out in circles. Place on baking sheet, closely together making sure they are touching each other. When they touch together they help each other rise.
- Step 7 Bake for 12-15 mins until the top is golden brown. Brush with melted butter as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Step 8 Your food is ready!!