Fried Chicken has the key to everyone’s heart. Regardless of the high calories content, KFC and Popeyes will continue to have a line up of customers, because it is just that damn good!! However, at some point we just have to put our health forward, as for me I am seriously putting my waistline forward, your girl can not completely go out of shape because of the love for food and fried chicken. I put in the work to find a solution that will fill that void, and my oven-baked southern buttermilk chicken does the trick anytime. It is not time consuming (most of the work is done in the refrigerator and oven), easy to prepare and delicious can not describe how much it is just that good. Super moist on the inside and crispy on the outside, my lawd! I am still reminiscing on the goodness that is my southern buttermilk chicken. I had this with Jollof Rice and we can say it was a match made in heaven; you can pair this with any side of your choice. Zinny Factor I know this is recipe your viewers will love and enjoy making. To try this recipe, continue reading…
Now let’s get to it.
Southern Buttermilk Fried Chicken (Oven-Fried)
- 2 lb of Chicken Quarters (cut in half)
- 1 and ½ Cup of Breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup of Flour
- 2 Cups of Buttermilk
- 1 and ½ tbsp of Granulated Basil / Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp of All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 tsp of Paprika
- ½ tsp of Black Pepper
- 1 tsp of White Pepper
- ½ tbsp of Garlic Powder
- ½ tbsp of Onion Powder
- 3 Eggs
- Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp of Kosher Salt
- Step 1 In a nonreactive bowl, add your eggs and buttermilk whisk until properly incorporated. Mix in your garlic and onion powder, salt and granulated basil or Italian seasoning. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least 6 hours,overnight or for 24 hours for best result.
- Step 2 Preheat Oven to 375 F. Remove chicken from refrigerator 45 mins before baking. In a different bowl, mix together bread crumbs, flour, paprika, black and white pepper and all purpose seasoning.
- Step 3 Remove chicken from buttermilk, remove any excess liquid. Completely coat chicken in flour mixture one after the other and place in a baking tray, or on a wire rack on top of a baking tray. Properly grease baking tray or wire rack before placing chicken.
- Step 4 Cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Generously drizzle olive oil on top of chicken before placing in oven. To make extra crispy on the outside leave for additional minutes in the oven.
- Step 5 Your food is ready!!!
- Step 6 Serve with any side of your choice