I hope you are all having a great week. I had a crazy day at work and the only food I could think about to make my day bearable is a nice bowl of spicy okro soup and some hot semolina on the side; this meal is life right now, much needed. It is one of the easiest nigerian soup literally anyone can prepare. It’s super fast and can be prepared anyway, I usually just freestyle with it; once you understand the basics, you can just have fun with it. I made this soup a little loose because I was coming down with a cold and I needed it really soupy but it is way better thick (in my opinion). This is one of my favorite Nigerian soups, and I usually love it with assorted meat but today I decided to switch it up a little with chicken wings. YUM YUM YUM! 😋
Now let’s get to it.
Spicy Okro Soup and Chicken Wings
- 2-3 lb of Okro (washed and chopped)
- 1 lb of Chicken Wings
- 1-2 Cooking spoons of Palm Oil
- Onion ( halved)
- 3-4 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 2 tbsp of Ground Crayfish
- 3-4 Seasoning cubes
- Chopped Spinach
- Fresh Shrimp (optional)
- 4 Cups of Water
- Step 1 Blend onion and scotch bonnet pepper together and set aside.
- Step 2 In a cooking pot, add your washed chicken wings, half of your blended pepper and onion mixture, 2 seasoning cubes and salt. Add salt according to preference and if you do not like really spicy food, reduce the amount of scotch bonnet used or remove the seeds. Boil until meat is tender, it should take about 15- 20 minutes.
- Step 3 Place your chicken wings in the oven and grill on 350 F until wings are golden brown and a little crispy.
- Step 4 In the same cooking pot with chicken stock, add remainder of the pepper mixture, ground crayfish, seasoning cube, and water. Cook for 5-7 minutes. If you want your soup thick, add only 3 cups of water but if you want it a little loose add 4 cups.
- Step 5 Add your chopped okro, palm oil and cook for 4-5 minutes. Taste for salt and add more if needed.
- Step 6 Add your chicken wings and cook soup until okro is completely cooked. It will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Step 7 Add fresh shrimp and spinach and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Step 8 Your food is ready!!!
Serve with any side of choice ( Eba, semolina or pounded yam) or grab a spoon and enjoy on its own.