Nigerian Fried Rice with Oven Grilled Suya Chicken
April 28, 2018
: 25 min
: 30 min
: 55 min
TIP: To achieve authentic Nigerian Fried Rice, prepare own chicken stock
- 2 Cups of Basmati Rice
- 2 Cups of Mixed Vegetables (carrots, corn, peas)
- 200g of Beef Liver
- 2 ½ Cups of Chicken Stock or substitute for store bought stock
- 2 tbsp of Curry
- 2 tbsp of Thyme
- 4 Seasoning Cubes
- Kosher Salt
- 3 Stalks of Scallions (chopped)
- 1 tbsp of Chili Powder
- 4 tbsp of Vegetable oil
- Quick Chicken Stock for Nigerian Fried Rice:
- 3-4 Chicken bones/quarters
- 1 small onion (blended)
- 1 ½ tsp of Curry powder
- 1 tsp of Thyme
- 1 Seasoning Cube
- 2 tsp of Chili Powder/ 1 scotch bonnet pepper (blend with onion)
- 3 Cups of Water
- Step 1 Cook beef liver with salt, 1 tsp of chili powder and water enough to cover liver, cook until tender. Cut into small cubes and set aside.
- Step 2 Make your chicken stock using listed ingredients. Cook stock for 20-25 minutes. Sieve out impurities from stock. Wash your Basmati rice and steam rice with sieved stock until tender. To steam rice cover pot with aluminium foil before putting on the lid, cook on low heat. Cook rice until tender and water is dried out. If you are using store bought stock, bring stock to a boil, season with little salt and 1 tsp of chili powder and steam rice.
- Step 3 In a large wok or pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil, once oil is hot, add half of your scallions and fry for 1-2 minutes. Now add half your seasoning: 1 tbsp of curry and thyme, 2 seasoning cubes, ½ tbsp of chili powder, some mixed vegetables, some liver and salt. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes and then add half of your rice and stir fry for an additional 4-5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt if needed. Add salt according to preference. Repeat process with the rest of the ingredients and rice.
- Step 4 Your fried rice is ready!!
Oven-Grilled Suya Chicken Recipe Suya Chicken