Thank God! It’s Friday!! Looking forward to the weekend like 💃 Today’s lunch or dinner inspiration is Yam Pottage and Oxtail. I had some leftover yams from my last recipe and did not know what to do with them, so I picked up some oxtail meat and made myself yam pottage. Oh my! 😋 mouthwatering is an understatement to describe how good this meal is. You just have to try it and let me know 😉 Anyway with this recipe, I experimented a little by taking a different direction from the norm and added Banga soup spices. Let’s just say my recipe for yam pottage has changed for the better 😀 You can get Banga soup spices at an African or West Indian grocery store. Before I bore you all, let’s get to it.
Yam Pottage and Oxtail
- Negro or White Yam
- 2 lb of Oxtail meat
- 2 tbsp of Ground CrayFish
- 4 Seasoning Cubes
- 1 Red Onion
- 3-4 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- Chopped Spinach
- 2 Cooking spoons of Palm Oil
- 1 tsp of Banga Soup Spices (optional)
- 4-5 Cups of water
- Step 1 Peel, wash and cut your yam into big chunks. Set aside.
- Step 2 Wash your meat and place in your cooking pot. Blend your onion and scotch bonnet peppers with ¼ cup of water. Add half of the mixture to meat, 2 seasoning cubes and salt. Add salt according to preference. If you do not like hot food, you can reduce the quantity of scotch bonnet used.
- Step 3 Cook meat until tender. Oxtail takes about 2 hours to soften, if you have a pressure pot, you can save some time and cook for 20-25 mins.
- Step 4 When meat is soft, add yam, remainder of the onion and pepper mixture, crayfish, 2 seasoning cubes, 4-5 cups of water or enough to cover the yam and salt. If you used a pressure pot to cook your meat, transfer meat and stock to a cooking pot before taking step 4.
- Step 5 When yam is cooked or soft, taste and adjust seasoning. You can add salt, seasoning cube if needed or crayfish. Add palm oil, Banga soup spices and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Step 6 Add your spinach and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Always stir after you add your ingredients.
- Step 7 Your food is ready!!